[fluid-dev] DirectX Driver Alternate

From: Zachary Northrup
Subject: [fluid-dev] DirectX Driver Alternate
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 21:11:37 -0400

Hello everyone,

Since FluidSynth is released under the LGPL, I am compelled to let you know that I have recently made and published a minor modification to FluidSynth that I'm using in my application, Z-Maestro. Z-Maestro is a Windows application, so I am using the DirectSound audio driver. However, the DirectSound driver did not allow new_fluid_audio_driver2, which I wanted to use for audio peak meters. Therefore, I made some small changes to the DirectSound driver which allows it to accept a method with the same prototype as fluid_synth_write_s16. It probably should not be integrated into the actual FluidSynth because new_fluid_audio_driver2 is actually supposed to take a prototype of a method handling float data. I just cast the function pointer right now, which is wrong, but it works and it is easy.

The changes can be found on the page http://www.z-sys.org/products/zmaestro/dload.aspx. Scroll all the way to the bottom for the zip of the FluidSynth source. It is, of course, based on FluidSynth 1.0.8.

I am considering making some more changes in the future, adapting the DirectSound driver to allow the use of float audio, and perhaps making small improvements to the synthesizer engine. If/when I do, I will let you know and submit diffs for your consideration.

Thanks to everyone who has made FluidSynth such a great synthesizer. I look forward to the 1.0.9 release.

Zachary Northrup
http://www.z-sys.org/