Re: [fluid-dev] Patch for bad MIDI timing (with large buffer sizes)

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Patch for bad MIDI timing (with large buffer sizes)
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 23:01:56 +0100

David Henningsson wrote:
> So after having improved the midi player patch a bit, I went to try
> fixing #15, but I'm a little unsure of how to implement it in the file
> driver the best way.
[...]
> Or should we bypass the generic audio driver and make fluidsynth.c
> depend directly on aufile? Or perhaps even create a separate driver for
> this purpose?

After thinking again about this, yes. The audio file driver is used for a
different thing, and it would be a mess if you try to convert it for this
purpose.

So, what about creating a new public function, say fluid_midi_renderer() or
something like that, with two parameters: a MIDI input, and an audio output
file names. Set the slave timer on it, initialize the MIDI player, and do a
simple loop, writting audio buffers to the output file until the player has
finished. It is not needed a new driver, nor a thread. If you prefer, create
a new set of functions fluid_midi_renderer_* with a callback for the clients
wanting to write the output file by themselves.

What I mean is that the MIDI rendering process, faster than realtime, is a
totally new and different problem, and so the solution should also require a
new interface.

> >> I don't plan to solve either one currently, my current goal is to fix
> >> #15.
> >
> > OK. I would open a new ticket for this bug, if you don't open it
> > yourself.
>
> Possibly there should be two tickets, one for each subproblem.

I've already opened the ticket:
http://fluidsynth.resonance.org/trac/ticket/24

Regards,
Pedro