Re: [fluid-dev] Patch for bad MIDI timing (with large buffer sizes)

From: Bernat Arlandis i Mañó
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Patch for bad MIDI timing (with large buffer sizes)
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 12:23:59 +0100

Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas escrigué:
perhaps the below implementation is better than the one in the patch posted earlier, but still bad, as it quits before all samples
have reached the soundcard.

Your former patch implements a "slave" timer, using the frame counter from the synthesizer itself as a time source. I think it may be a right way to go.
I would like to know the real problem being solved by this patch. Since this patch just synchronizes the synth and midi threads, I think it might be a concurrency problem with the synth and midi threads, I think we talked there might be some missing required locks.

On the negative side, for big buffer sizes, the midi resolution timer will be lower than it should because the midi resolution will be the same as the audio latency.

--
Bernat Arlandis i Mañó