[fluid-dev] Re: CoreMIDI driver changes

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
Subject: [fluid-dev] Re: CoreMIDI driver changes
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 21:18:19 +0100

Ebrahim Mayat wrote:
> On Jan 26, 2009, at 4:34 PM, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've added two settings to the CoreMIDI driver (SVN revision 145) as
> > it was
> > proposed:
> >
> > * "midi.coremidi.id" setting adds the provided identifier to the
> > Client Name.
> > If not set, the identifier is built using the process ID number. The
> > Client
> > Name would become something like: "FluidSynth 1234"
> >
> > * "midi.portname" setting (or command line parameter -p) replaces
> > the default
> > Port Name with the provided string, behaving like the ALSA Sequencer
> > driver.
> > If not set, the process ID is appended to the default port name;
> > something
> > like this: "FluidSynth virtual port 1234"
> >
> > These settings should be useful when running several FluidSynth
> > instances at
> > once. Please test, and provide comments, bug reports or any other
> > feedback
> > here or in the ticket http://fluidsynth.resonance.org/trac/ticket/18
>
> Hello Pedro
>
> I am unable to add any feedback on the ticket referred to above.

Trac requires to log in with your user/password to edit tickets. If you
provided it, then there is a problem with the site. Josh, can you take a
look?

> In any case, here is my report.
>
> Yes, the client name shows itself as"FluidSynth virtual port 768" on
> the "MIDI Output" tab in MIDI Patchbay.app.
>
> While I can launch multiple instances of FS in qsynth, the MIDI output
> tab in MIDI Patchbay.app only reflects one instance of "FluidSynth
> virtual port 768". On the other hand, I can launch as many instances
> of vmpk as fluidsynth in qsynth and in each Edit --> Connections -->
> Output MIDI Connection window I have a choice between different
> instances of "FluidSynth virtual port 768".

Not sure what this means. QSynth is not yet ready to understand the options
for the new coremidi driver. It knows the Jack audio driver, though. Jack
requires a different client name for each instance, QSynth being aware of
this and proposes a different name ("Jack Client Name ID" setup option).

Are you using the MIDI Patchbay by Pete Yandell, version 1.0.3 ? mine doesn't
have a MIDI output tab, but has a combo box instead.

> I cannot launch more than one instance of fluidsynth from the command-
> line. When I launch the second instance, I get the following error:
>
> $ fluidsynth -a jack -m coremidi -p instance2 -j
> jack_client_new: deprecated
> Client name = fluidsynth conflits with another running client
> Cannot connect to the server
> no message buffer overruns
> fluidsynth: error: Jack server not running?
> Failed to create the audio driver
>
> (BTW, the -p flag works for naming the first instance.)

The above errors are produced by the Jack audio driver. You need to give a
different client name to each jack instance, using the
setting "audio.jack.id", for instance:

$ fluidsynth -a jack -o audio.jack.id=instance2 -m coremidi -p instance2

Or use the coreaudio driver instead of Jack, to isolate the coremidi tests.

Regards,
Pedro