Re: [fluid-dev] New development

From: Antoine Schmitt
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] New development
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 10:34:04 +0100

Le 25 janv. 09 à 23:14, Josh Green a écrit :
Things for the new 2.x branch:

About new development, there is an improvement to fluid that I had worked on two years ago in a private branch that I think should be integrated inside the main code base. I don't know if it should be integrated into 1.x or 2.x, because it changes the API a bit.

The bug is with the sequencer : in short, the sequencer uses the computer clock to trigger its sequenced events, whereas the audio buffers are requested and created by the soundcard when it needs them which may be ahead of realtime, resulting in events not being triggered at the right moment in the audio stream. The fact is that in real life, audio cards do request audio buffers ahead of time, sometimes a lot ahead, in bulk (like 16 buffers at once), thus not leaving time for the sequencer to trigger its events at the right moment in the audio stream.
I have fixed this by:
- making the sequencer use the audio stream as a clock
- calling the sequencer from the synth audio callback so that sequenced events are inserted in the audio buffer right before the audio is rendered This implied a small change in the API because now the sequencer depends on the synth to get its clock (which was not the case before).

How should I proceed to include it in the main code base ?

++ as