Re: [fluid-dev] ASIO Freature Request

From: Jim Henry
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] ASIO Freature Request
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 08:27:54 -0800

FWIW, FluidSynth is integrated with the Miditzer. The Miditzer uses the direct API calls to FluidSynth when used in default mode. I don't think ASIO support would make any difference at all for Windows usage. I can't comment on what would improve things for those who use Linux.

The version of FluidSynth used in the Miditzer includes changes that were submitted, but never included in the official source, to enable the MIDI file player to pass back the MIDI to the caller. If you are going to do work specifically driven by the Miditzer, which might not be unreasonable given that it is being downloaded at the rate of about 1,000 copies a month, then I should identify those changes so they can be made part of the official release. There may be some other issues that should be addressed that are exposed by the Miditzer. But I'd need to catch up with the current release before I'd care to comment on anything as I suspect that most if not all of these things have already been addressed. The version of FluidSynth we are using is at least 2 years old. Obviously nothing is terribly wrong as we have many happy users.

Best,
Jim Henry
Miditzer author

ggoode.sa wrote:
Oh, sorry - forgot this one point as well...
If fluidsynth has ASIO support and this was available in Miditzer,
then we could use WineAsio drivers in WINE to connect straight to
JACK. Currently we can't use the built in fluidsynth that comes with
Miditzer when running it in WINE (Linux) - hugh latency, but use
Qsynth externally and re-route the MIDI data.

Thanks!
Graham