Re: [fluid-dev] About documentation and code

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] About documentation and code
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 21:39:43 -0800

On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 00:28 +0100, Bernat Arlandis i Mañó wrote:
> I think this would ease development in the long term by reducing the
> amount of code. If you all agree we can entirely drop that "no external
> dependencies" requirement unless there's some problem.

Changing the code to use glib is worth branching.  If there is nothing
else outstanding, then I'll make a FluidSynth release.  Then indentation
formatting followed by branching.

> > Indeed, using a standard code indentation/syntax would be nice.  I
> > personally like 2 space indentation, with braces always on a new line
> > and some other specifics (described by the indent command: indent -bli0
> > -sc -ncs).  Using spaces instead of tabs would be fine too.
> >
> Overall, it seems like the code is already using a standard code
> indentation/syntax. I'm flexible about which one to use, but it would be
> easiest to follow what's already done and I think it matches your proposal.

Well its fairly close.  I personally don't like trailing braces like:

  if (blah) {
  }

Much prefer:

  if (blah)
  {
  }

Its just a heck of a lot more readable to me, especially when nested
several times.  Also dislike: char* var;  over  char *var;  but that is
more of a nitpick I suppose.

> I think we should branch stable releases and develop on the trunk while
> fixing bugs in the stable branch. Other big changes could be done also
> on their own branch until they're enough tested and stable to go to the
> trunk.

We can start with one branch for the glib conversion effort.

> I've noticed the SVN has a strange layout with much more directories
> levels that needed. This is not all that important but if there's ever
> going to be a fair amount of SVN activity and new developers we should
> make a more logical arrangement. I can help with this since I have some
> experience with SVN.

Really?  Seems pretty standard to me.  Toplevel is branches/, tags/ and
trunk/.  Under trunk is the fluidsynth/ directory.  What did you have in
mind?

> I'll start with documentation on the wiki, I'll keep you informed on my
> progress.

Excellent!

> Best regards.
>
> --