Re: [fluid-dev] Limited dynamic in fluidsynth

From: S. Christian Collins
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Limited dynamic in fluidsynth
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2008 10:33:40 -0500

Senjin,

I have created a custom version of FluidSynth that includes the following modifications:

A) velocity-to-filter cutoff modification
B) fixed some crashes related to modulators
C) set default velocity-to-attenuation to 144 dB instead of 96 dB for increased velocity-to-attenuation sensitivity.  Note that some SoundFonts may override this setting.

Here's the source code:
http://www.schristiancollins.com/temp/fluidsynth-1.0.8-scc2.tar.gz

If you use Ubuntu, I have also created .deb files for easy installation (you'll want all three--use at your own risk):
http://www.schristiancollins.com/temp/fluidsynth_1.0.8-scc2_i386.deb
http://www.schristiancollins.com/temp/libfluidsynth1_1.0.8-scc2_i386.deb
http://www.schristiancollins.com/temp/libfluidsynth-dev_1.0.8-scc2_i386.deb

If you'd like a good GM/GS bank, here's one I custom-designed to work with this version of FluidSynth:
http://www.schristiancollins.com/temp/GeneralUser%20GS%20FluidSynth%20v1.43%20RC1.sf2.bz2

Enjoy :)
-~Chris

senjin wrote:
I'm new to the list, so hello everybody!
I'm not English native speaker so sorry for the mistakes...

I use fluidsynth 1.0.8 with qsynth 0.3.2. I noticed the following problem: When I play my electric piano connected via MIDI to the PC the dynamic range of the sounds played by fluidsynth is very low - much lower than of the sounds from the audio output of my piano. All the notes from fluidsynth have very similar loudness.

I noticed the problem using two popular soundfonts: naturalstudio ns_kit7free drumkit and FluidR3GM.SF2, so I doubt that this is a problem with my soundfonts.

I'm not soundfont expert, but some time ago I read that there are two ways of assigning sample dynamic to MIDI velocity values: linear and logarithmic. Some soundfonts require one, some another. Using the wrong one leads to wrong dynamic. I guess that this is the source of the problem.

However I couldn't find in qsynth nor in fluidsynth an option to chose the dynamic mode. Is it implemented?