Re: [fluid-dev] MIDI implementation chart, MIDI remote control for fs

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] MIDI implementation chart, MIDI remote control for fs
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 23:41:15 -0700

Hello Lutz,

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 21:35 +0200, Lutz Morelater wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can fluidsynth be controlled via MIDI in all aspects?

No, unfortunately not everything can be controlled.  This has been
considered in the past though, through NRPN.  It would probably be
easiest just to provide some wrapper protocol over NRPN which shell
commands could be sent over.

> E.g., can I set chorus and reverb values by sending MIDI bytes from an
> external MIDI controller to my notebook that runs fluidsynth?

Yes.  SoundFont files have a feature called modulators which FluidSynth
supports.  These are editable in Swami, but there is still a lot to be
desired in its current implementation of a modulator editor.  Modulators
allow control of almost any SoundFont synthesis parameter via midi
controllers or other MIDI data (such as velocity, aftertouch, etc).

> Can I tell fluidsynth to load a particular SF2 file and set the channels etc.
> for it using MIDI commands only?

You can't instruct FluidSynth to load a SoundFont using MIDI currently.
You can do bank/program changes though on channels to select
instruments.

> All that might be visible in a MIDI implementation chart. Is there something
> like that available for fluidsynth?

No.  But it should look like a SoundFont compatible device, for which I
also don't know of a MIDI chart to point you to, off hand.  There are
only a handful of default modulators, the rest must be defined manually.

> Thanks for any info here,
> Lutz.

Best regards,
        Josh