Re: [fluid-dev] Soundlayering w/ fluidsynth + qsynth

From: Dave Serls
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Soundlayering w/ fluidsynth + qsynth
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 17:02:46 -0600

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 20:00:45 +0200
Lutz Morelater <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to do the following:
>
> - press one single note on my keyboard,
> - play several sounds at the same time on this channel triggered by my MIDI
> keyboard while doing that.
>
> Recently I have converted an old electric organ into a powerful MIDI
> controller. The organ had/has groups of switches that I now want to use
> as "stops", as they were used before for switching sounds on one "channel"
> (keyboard).
>
> I can assign MIDI messages to these switches as I need them, so I could send
> PRESET CHANGE chan. 1 - BANK 100 etc. for switching sounds on the same
> channel, I just do not know how to configure fluidsynth and qsynth to receive
> NOTE ON events on one channel and play several instruments without keyboard
> splitting on that channel at the same time.
>
> I already know that qsynth/fluidsynth offers more than 16 channels (up to 256
> channels iirc), but how do I activate - let's say - channel 23 to play
> something, when that is only a virtual channel? How do I send NOTE ON events
> etc. for that channel 23?
>
> I could assign sounds of a SF2 file to different banks to play them on the
> same physical MIDI channel, but qsynth / fluidsynth does not seem to allow to
> assign banks other than those that are inside a sound font file.
>
> Can You help me here or point me to the documentation that would help me get
> on with my problems?

  Since everyone is contributing their tuppence and personal hacks:

  I've modified a non-current version of qsynth to provide routing and
  also I also start 3 engines -- qsynth1 ( right-hand of keyboard ),
  qsynth2 ( left-hand of keyboard ), and qsynth3 ( Yamaha DD-55 drum toy).

  The routing is variable via new settings values for qsynthrc --
  MidiHighKey:  highest input note (1-88) handled by the engine being configured
  MidiLowKey: lowest input note (1-88) handled by engine being configured
  MidiOutputMask:  hexadecimal mask of output channels for the engine being
configured.
  MidiInputChan: an integer describing what input channels should be handled by
the
                 engine being configured.  If this value is a positive integer
than the
                 engine handles only that channel.  If it's zero, it handles
any midi channel.
                 If it's less than zero then the engine will handle odd
channels if it's odd (-1)
                 and even channels if it's even (-2).

  MidiOutputMask is be used for simple layering, by specifying multiple
channels in the mask.

*   Dave Serls                                 Littleton, CO, USA      *
*   dashs.denver.co.us                         dashs.com               *