[fluid-dev] Feature Request for fluidsynth PRESET CHANGE

From: Lutz Morelater
Subject: [fluid-dev] Feature Request for fluidsynth PRESET CHANGE
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 19:35:50 +0100

Hi,

some time ago I wrote about a feature I would have liked to be implemented in
fluidsynth. Because I never had enough time to look after that I had
forgotten about it. Now it is time to let it live up again ;-)

The feature I would like fluidsynth to have is about the Preset Change
command.

Normally, it works like this:

Fluidsynth receives "preset change XXX on channel YYY". It then switches off
the sound currently playing on that channel YYY and turns on sound XXX for
this channel. This is the standard behaviour of this MIDI command.

BUT:
even on today's fast computers this means, we can select one sound at a time
only. We can combine several channels to play simultanously but we can never
have two or more instruments on the very same channel and change between
them. We also might need additional software that merges several MIDI
channels into one channel.

This is where my request enters the stage.

Why not have a second mode for the PRESET CHANGE command that does not switch
sounds for a channel but toggle them? So, when receiving "preset change XXX
on channel YYY" what happens is that if XXX is already playing on that
channel YYY the sound will be switched off, and if ABC is playing on that
channel YYY then both sounds are now playing, i.e. XXX and at the same time
ABC.

This feature would be really nice to have. It is like pulling and pushing the
stops of a church organ with the PRESET CHANGE command. There are several
nice sound fonts that contain interesting synth sounds well worth combining
like stops, and we could then combine just about any sound with another sound
very easyly. Setting more than 128 sounds could be possible by using the bank
change command.

Another request which is an extension of the above request.
Looking at hardware synths, keyboards etc. we might find an option for the
PRESET CHANGE command that does not switch sounds but complete presets.
When receiving a PRESET CHANGE command in this mode the synth does not only
set/switch sounds for one channel, it also sets the sounds for all channels,
their chorus and hall values, footswitch settings, volume settings etc. The
channel parameter of this command is ignored while in that mode.  wonder if
fluidsynth could have this mode too, so that a simple PRESET CHANGE command
sent by any MIDI device would let fluidsynth load one/several soundfont
files, set the sounds for all channel, set volume, chorus and hall values. I
think that would be great.

So, this would mean there are three different modes for the PRESET CHANGE
command, and if fluidsynth knew all of them it could even switch itself from
one mode to another, depending on its settings.

What do You think?

Kind regards,
Crypto.