Re: [fluid-dev] Problem with Fluidsynth and looping

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Problem with Fluidsynth and looping
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 19:32:15 -0700

Just an update on this issue.  It seems existing FluidSynth source
clamps loop start/end points to a padding of 2 samples on either side of
the start/end of the sample data.  This is the reason for the click and
would actually cause detuning problems if the loop was small (since for
example the end loop point would get modified by a couple sample
points).

I need to get more familiar with the interpolation algorithm.  I
modified the clamping so that it no longer requires padding on either
side of the loop, but the interpolation algorithms need to be updated to
prevent points off the end of the sample data from being accessed.  From
what I can tell, FluidSynth also isn't interpolating around a sample
point (i.e., before and after the current point) but instead using only
points after the current sample point (that might be a misinterpretation
of the code on my part though).  It also isn't interpolating around a
loop boundary, which could lead to artifacts if there are no sample
points following the loop end, or they don't match the start loop data
very well.

If there are any DSP experts here that could assist with these changes,
that would be great :)  I'll continue studying the interpolation stuff
though.  Best regards,
        Josh Green