Re: [fluid-dev] Purpose of dither?

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Purpose of dither?
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 18:29:39 +0200

On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 09:18 -0700, Z F wrote:
> This makes me happy :) THis is exactly how I view the process. The last
> stage of audio processing should be responsible for dithering if it is
> needed at all...
>
> ZF

Only the 16 bit audio conversion functions in FluidSynth use dithering
(FluidSynth uses floating point internally).  That is actually the only
place you could do it, since once its 16 bit, you've got what you've
got.  The 16 bit audio functions are typically only used when sending
directly to the sound driver.  Jack doesn't require any conversion, and
just sends the float data unmolested ;)
        Josh