Re: [fluid-dev] Non-interactive fluidsynth

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Non-interactive fluidsynth
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 11:23:45 +0000

On Sun, 2007-03-18 at 13:07 -0600, Dave Serls wrote:
> I'd like to process midi files in a batch mode, converting them to .wav,
> eventually.
> '-a file' will output raw video to the file specified via '-o
> audio.file.name=noise.raw'.
> The problem is -- this file is only when closed when fluidsynth ends.  How
> does one force
> a close?  I mean, I can shorten it with audacity, after the fact, but
> shouldn't there be a
> more crisp solution?
>
> Thanks for any assistance.

Yes there should definitely be a more crisp solution.  Its an item high
on the todo list for me.  FluidSynth currently operates in real time
mode only.  What would be ideal is to have a non-realtime mode of
operation, in which the buffers are processed as fast as possible (100%
CPU consumption) and the output is a non-realtime driver, such as a
file.  MIDI events would also be handled in a non-realtime fashion, and
processed in a very precise manner, meaning that the resulting audio
output would always be identical.  I believe the core of FluidSynth can
probably handle this, its just a matter of building in the interface.  I
haven't fully looked into it yet though.  My plan is to give FluidSynth
a lot more attention, once Swami development reaches a somewhat
releasable stage.  Hopefully in the coming month!  Best regards,
        Josh