Re: [fluid-dev] Crazy non-Xrun Xruns

From: Ken Restivo
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Crazy non-Xrun Xruns
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 12:48:44 -0800

I'm on 0.101.1-2

I didn't see any upstream ChangeLog for jackd, but I generated one from the
subversion repository, and alas didn't see any mention of multiprocessor or SMP
fixes. So if that support was added, I haven't been able to figure out at what
version that was done.

Just to flail around wildly, I tried to build 0.102.20, but neither my
homegrown uupdate attempt nor the experimental .dsc/orig/diff's from Debian
(http://packages.debian.org/experimental/sound/jackd) will build for some
reason, debuild is complaining about not being able to apply the libjack
versioning patch, oddly..

I did however find mention of jackdmp, which appears to have SMP support, and
built it and tried it out, but all my jack tools appear to be using SHM,
whereas jackdmp uses pipes/fifos, so nothing works with jackdmp. Docs say that
SHM doesn't quite work on jackdmp, nor have I been able to determine how
well-maintained it is.

I'd expect that most people doing audio work in linux have SMP machines; I'm
surprised by the idea that JACK doesn't support SMP.

More flailing. Alas, no successes.

- -ken