[fluid-dev] A question of memory

From: Paul Millar
Subject: [fluid-dev] A question of memory
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 19:45:57 +0000

Hi all,

I've written (what I hope is) a minimal, functioning test code for running
fluidsynth, linking against libfluidsynth.  Its available from:

http://ppewww.physics.gla.ac.uk/~paul/fluidsynth/simple-fluidsynth-test.c

Running this test test through valgrind's memcheck tool is quite interesting:

Valgrind reports that the alsa driver is calling libasound with some
uninitialised bytes in a few places.

Also, after calling delete_fluid_* functions, there's still some 33 MB of
memory in use when the program terminates.

I'm loading a 30 MB SoundFont file, so I'm guessing that delete_fluid_synth()
doesn't free memory allocated by fluid_synth_sfload().  There's lots of other
wee bits of leaked memory here and there (strdup()s, etc...).

The output from valgrind is available from:
http://ppewww.physics.gla.ac.uk/~paul/fluidsynth/valgrind.out

But, I hope the test-case above is pretty easy to check this.

Cheers,

Paul.