[fluid-dev] Kernel system timer and fluidsynth performance on PPC/Linux

From: Ebrahim Mayat
Subject: [fluid-dev] Kernel system timer and fluidsynth performance on PPC/Linux
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 18:04:01 +0200

Hello All

While this comparison is not strictly scientifically correct, I just tried fluidsynth and qsynth for live playing under two different kernels with different system timer settings:

1.kernel 2.6.15-rc5 patched with the rt-lsm patch where the system timer has a default setting of 250 Hz.

2. A later kernel release (2.6.17.3) which also had the option of setting the system timer i.e. patched with rt-lsm + system timer set to 1000 Hz.

Generally, I found that the first kernel was almost perfect with little or no audio dropouts and distortion while problems of audio dropouts and distortion were quite prevalent using the second kernel.

Is this also the case with Intel/Linux ?