Re: [fluid-dev] Preset Change via MIDI (QSynth/FluidSynth)

From: Ken Ellinwood
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Preset Change via MIDI (QSynth/FluidSynth)
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 09:27:34 -0700 (PDT)

What you want to do is load each soundfont with a different bank offset.   The bank offset can be specified via the command-line "load" command and is probably supported in the QSynth GUI.    Then by using bank select and program change messages via MIDI, you can select/control the instrument for each channel.

Ken

Lutz MoreLater <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

I would like to use FluidSynth and QSynth to play SoundFont files. To do
that I have connected my MIDI organ to my computer and that connection works
just fine. I can also hear what I am playing so there are no hardware
problems and so my questions do not seem to be related to things like jackd
either.

Typically I am using collections of sounds, for example I would like to load
a GM table of sounds into FluidSynth/QSynth and do PresetChanges via my MIDI
organ, so that I would get Channel #1 Piano, Channel #2 Guitar and Channel
#3 Bass. FluidSynth/QSynth receives the PresetChange commands but there just
is no PresetChange taking place.

I have noticed that I can load SoundFonts into QSynth using its GUI, e.g.
"MIDIALL.SF2" @ Channel #1, but how do I change between them using only MIDI
Preset Change?

It seems that I have to preconfigure FluidSynth/QSynth via their GUIs so
that I can do PresetChanges ONLY by using the GUIs. It means that I have to
tell FluidSynth/QSynth via the GUIs which SoundFont to load (which is fine)
but also which sound to play on channel #1, which one on channel #2 and so
on. But I need to do this via my MIDI organ. Normally, my MIDI organ enables
me to send a Preset Change on any of the 16 MIDI channels.

I have loaded the SoundFont(s) that I want to play into FluidSynth/QSynth,
but FluidSynth/QSynth will not accept PresetChanges properly.

I think that a while ago this worked as I wanted it to, I just cannot
remember which versions those were.

What am I doing wrong? I am probably just misunderstanding something about
the concept of FluidSynth/QSynth and how they handle PresetChanges.

My system is a PC with Kanotix Linux installed.

Regards,
Lutz.