Re: [fluid-dev] Audio effects

From: Garett Shulman
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Audio effects
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 10:15:08 -0600

cryptoguru wrote:
I just noticed something called dssi,
there are wrappers for fluidsynth and vst .. (fluidsynth-dssi & dssi-vst)
so could use fluidsynth with vst effects presumably by patching them in jack. Don't understand why fluidsynth needs to be wrapped, I would've thought you could just take the output from fluidsynth into the input of dssi-vst, then into the audio outputs.

You are right. You only need dssi-vst... not fluidsynth-dssi. Using jack, you can patch the output of fluidsynth into the dssi host to take advantage of dssi-vst. You would use fluidsynth-dssi if you wanted a fluidsynth plugin in some dssi host. Also, using jack, you can patch the output of fluidsynth into some other ladspa host if fluidsynth's implamentation is confusing. Ecasound works great for me. Although, it is probably even more confusing :) .
Has anyone got any experience with dssi?

On 7/6/06, * John Anderson* <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 15:30 +0100, cryptoguru wrote:
    > I'm building a Hardware sound-module that runs the DeMuDi version of
    > debian and fluidsynth.
    > I'm using a mini-itx board in a tiny case 1.5GHz Epia C7 CPU with
    > 400MHz FSB and 1GB DDR2 RAM. Also running out through an Audiophile
    > 2496 card.
    > I got it working last night and the results are fantastic ...
    I've got
    > the latency right down so it's unnoticeable with my test file (a
    200MB
    > piano sound).
    >
    > I'm new here so sorry if this question has been answered before,
    > wanting to get effects working with fluidsynth i.e. a rotary speaker
    > simulator or wurlitzer etc.
    > I noticed it has LADSPA support ... how does this work?
    > Can I load effects from the shell?

    try "help ladspa". Seems very cryptic though, and it looks to be
    tied up
    with the -G command-line switch.

    bye
    John