Re: [fluid-dev] Clicking problems

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Clicking problems
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 17:43:51 +0200

On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 16:03 +0100, John Matthews wrote:

> I use fluidsynth on a few different machines, and suffer from the
> following problem.
>
> It all works fine on an m-audio card I have.
>
> However, using the onboard sound on a via EPIA board, with the alsa
> drivers I get one click every time a note off is performed.  Note that
> if I allow the note to play out, and turn off by itself, the same
> doesn't seem to happen.
>
> The problem also happens with the old oss drivers. And it happens in
> exactly the same way if I output sound from fluidsynth via jack.
>
> Via provide an oss compatible binary driver on their website - this
> does not cause the clicking, although the latency is too poor to be
> useful (100s of milliseconds)
>
> This may be a problem with the snd-via82xx alsa module, however it
> doesn't appear to happen with other programs (although to be honest, I
> don't use many).  And I have tried dxs_support=1,2,3,4, etc.  In fact
> I have been trying to solve this problem for a few years!
>
> I would be very grateful for any suggestions,
>
> John.

One suggestion I have is to make sure you are using the hw:0 device when
using ALSA.  This can be accomplished by calling FluidSynth like so:
fluidsynth -a alsa -o audio.alsa.device=hw:0

I'm not sure why you are having the same problem with Jack.  One
interesting experiment would be to record the Jack stream to a file and
then play it on another sound card.  Its also strange that it correlates
to the note off and happens with some drivers but not others.  I think
there may still be some clicking problems with the synthesis, but they
are usually pretty reproduce-able and occur across all drivers.
        Josh Green