Re: [fluid-dev] Multi-engine soundfonts

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Multi-engine soundfonts
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 13:12:24 -0800

On Sat, 2005-11-05 at 14:37 -0700, Dave Serls wrote:
>   Now the soundfont situation:
>   I'm using one font which is quite large -- I haven't the memory for 2 fixed
> instances of FluidR3GM.sf2 -- so
>   I'm wondering if it's possible to create a shared memory object with fixed
> pages, built with a special option
>   of fluidsynth.  Then allow fluidsynth instances to open multiple copies of
> this object and load the engine sfont
>   pointer(s) with its address(es).  I know this is a simplification and
> dodges issues of deleting/loading fonts
>   on the fly.
>
>   Thanks again for your help.

Sorry it took so long to reply.  I imagine it might not be that hard to
add support for storing loaded SoundFont files into shared memory
segments.  Either a command line switch or a switch during the "load"
command could tell FluidSynth to load a SoundFont and make it accessible
via a shm segment (or perhaps a loaded SoundFont could be share-enabled
after being loaded).  Then other FluidSynth processes could be told to
access the shared SoundFont data.  One issue I can think of is that
shared memory is fairly platform specific, so it would require different
implementations for each platform.  I'll work on this task next with
FluidSynth, when I have the time.  Best regards,
        Josh Green