Re: [fluid-dev] Number of bits of audio data

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Number of bits of audio data
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 12:08:52 -0700

On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 07:26 +0100, Edenyard wrote:
> Not sure if this is a silly question, but how many bits does Fluidsynth
> use for audio data? Reason for asking is that I seem to be running into
> trouble with audible quantising distortion on quiet sounds. I was
> considering getting a 24-bit soundcard to see if that helps but it's
> probably pretty pointless if Fluid only generates 16-bit sound.
>
> Sometimes it seems as though the audible artifacts are worse as the
> reverberation dies away.
>
> I'm currently using Fluid 1.0.6 with Alsa 1.0.8 and kernel 2.4.29 on a
> mobo with Via 82C686B audio chip, if that's of any use to know. I'm
> looking at a Soundblaster Live 24-bit, which I believe Alsa supports,
> but am open to any suggestions!
>
> Cheers,  Gerald.

As far as I know FluidSynth does all synthesis internally with floating
point (either floats or doubles depending on whats selected
at ./configure time).  The output is then rendered to 16 bit.  I don't
know if there is a 24 bit output, I don't believe there is currently,
although it would probably be easy to add.  I'd be curious what you are
actually hearing because I haven't noticed anything like you describe,
not to say that its not there and I'm just not hearing it :)  I'd try
another sound device though, to see if the problem goes away.
        Josh Green