Re: [fluid-dev] Crashing bug in fluidsynth (CVS)

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Crashing bug in fluidsynth (CVS)
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 00:48:54 -0700

On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 18:40 -0700, Mo DeJong wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> So, I keep running into this crashing bug in fluid_dsp_foat.c line 155.
> (This is with the CVS as of Sept 14th 2005)
>
> I am trying to play a midi file on the command line with a small
> little SF2 patch I found on the net. Here are the URLs for the
> test case that is crashing on my Win32 box in case you want to
> reproduce the bug yourself.
>
> http://www.dubiner.com/~mo/fluidsynth/scale.mid
> http://www.dubiner.com/~mo/fluidsynth/default.sf2 (90 K)
>
> When I play this via `fluidsynth default.sf2 scale.mid` it crashes
> in fluid_dsp_foat.c on line 155:
>
> The problem is that dsp_phase value is a really large
> number (1057488896) and the dsp_data[dsp_phase_index]
> array is not large enough for this index, so it segfaults.
>
> I did some digging around in the debugger but this problem
> was not easy to track down. The voice->phase member
> that this value comes from seems to be set here:
>
> fluid_voice.c: 1975
>
>       fluid_phase_set_int(voice->phase, voice->start);
>
> I was not able to decipher what was going on in that
> loop or what this phase value was meant to do, but
> my hope is that by providing this test case and some
> basic info that the developers might be able to hunt
> down this bug.
>
> I hope that helps
> Mo DeJong

There was a 64 bit related crash bug that was also fixed with this
section of code (I believe it was an AMD 64 bit system).  What
architecture is your system?  Can you tell if USE_LONGLONG is defined or
not?  This define determines the format of the fluid_phase_t structure
and the corresponding macros in fluid_phase.h.
        Josh