Re: [fluid-dev] pan by channel

From: Dave Serls
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] pan by channel
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 13:34:01 -0600

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 12:41:47 +0200
Peter Hanappe <address@hidden> wrote:

> Dave Serls wrote:
> > Is there a mechanism to direct most (or all) of a given MIDI channel to
> > a given stereo channel?  or specify mix by channel, I guees.
>
> I'm not 100% sure I understand your question. It could be:
>
> 1) Is it possible to specify a pan and/or volume for every MIDI
>     channel? Yes, it is. You can send the standard MIDI Control Change
>     messages to change both (if you're using the fluidsynth API, you
>     can call fluid_synth_cc()).
>
> But I don't think that is what you were asking.
>
> It could be:
>
> 2) Is it possible for the synth to output multiple audio channels
>     and have, for example, MIDI channel 2 write to
>     audio channel 3? The multiple audio streams can than be mixed
>     in an external mixer program. This is somewhat possible but it
>     is still adventure land. You can start the synth
>     with multi audio out, in which case MIDI channel 1 goes to
>     (stereo) audio channel 1, MIDI channel 2 to audio channel 2, etc.
>     I believe it only sort of works when you use the jack audio
>     driver.
>
> I'm not quite sure this will help you out. Send us some more details
> if it doesn't.

  I'm sorry I haven't replied, but the exigencies of this life....

  Here's hoping that I can express what I actually want.
  I'd like to plat my midi keyboard with its builtin 'split' enabled,
  so that the left=-hand set of keys outputs a different channel (n+1)
  than the right; I would like fluidsynth to balance the higher channel (80-20)%
  to the left channel of lineout, and thelower channel (80-20)% to the right.
  I've tried 'cc x 7 nn'  and it seems to be ignored.
  From a poor inspection of the code, the range of values seems to be
  numbers in the hundreds.  I wasn't sure how these were scaled.
  At any rate 0 seemed to turn a midi channel off at both left and right
speakers.
  The behavior is as if all results are mixed equally (?).

  Thanks for your attention.