Re: [fluid-dev] Re: Keyboard split via router commands?

From: Dave Serls
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Re: Keyboard split via router commands?
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 21:04:59 -0600

On Fri, 21 May 2004 13:43:28 -0700 (PDT)
Ken Ellinwood <address@hidden> wrote:

> Dave, thanks for the example.  I got your split working, but only when
> invoking
> noteon events from a sequencer external to fluidsynth -- the fluidsynth
> 'noteon' shell-command apparently bypasses the routing logic.  This means the
> split can't be tested with the virtual keyboard in FluidGUI.

  Too bad.

> Do you think its reasonable to manage the routing from within FluidGUI as a
> block of text?

  You might provide a kind of superset syntax -- i.e. the split command
  in my example.  Then a 'layer' command for multiple instrument output,
  etc.
  Of course that invites the inevitable skew with the native fluidsynth
  syntax at some point.  I'd guess the original syntax is much safer.
  Functional effects are listed in a nice comment in fluid_midi_router.c
  around line 242, if you are wondering about potential usage.

  I can imagine other more complicated interfaces -- like
> graphically spliting/resizing areas of a keyboard and assigning channels to
> each area.  Also, it seems desireable to route not only note events, but pitch
> bends,  etc.  Routing program changes for a keyboard split doesn't seem to
> make
> sense though.
>
> I've got a Yamaha keyboard at home that supports "dual" mode (i.e, assigning
> two intstruments to a key).  I'm not sure if fluidsynth supports it yet, but
> if
> the router is capable of sending incomming events on one channel to two
> others,
> this could be achieved as well.

  I have the cheapest midi keyboard ever made -- a 49 key FATAR with nothing
but the
  keys and an on-off switch.  You can see that it might need lots of software
assist.

  I am looking at getting a Yamaha P90 soon.  Hoping the heavy feel will make me
  more accurate (I'm used to an old upright).