[fluid-dev] More MIDI channels?

From: Edenyard
Subject: [fluid-dev] More MIDI channels?
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 08:18:41 +0100

        I've been wondering whether there's any way to have more than 16 midi
channels with Fluidsynth. I have a project that I'm experimenting with
that would ideally like to be able to use 32 separate instruments at one
time. I understand that MIDI messages only use 4 bits to specify a
channel so that the limit is 16 channels.

        When I was using Timidity I remember that it seemed to have 4 MIDI
inputs, which enabled 64 instruments; does Fluid have a similar function
that can be used. I'm fairly sure (although it was a while ago) that
Timidity used numbers like 131:0, 131:1, 131:2, 131:3 to get the 4 MIDI
streams in. Unfortunately the sound coming out of Timidity sounded
nothing like real enough for me and Fluid was a very happy discovery!

        If Fluid can't do this, would it be possible to run two copies of Fluid
and somehow have them both send sound to the same sound card?

By the way - the 'digest' (which I'm set for) on this list only seems to spit something out about once a month - is that normal?

        TIA for any clues!

        Cheers,

                Gerald.