Re: [fluid-dev] Re: no midi on linux

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Re: no midi on linux
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 21:10:30 -0700

On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 08:58, Eric Van Buggenhaut wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 04:39:41AM -0500, Joe Corneli wrote:
> > OK, I ran, apt-get install alsa. Now locate alsa gives me what's below
> > (1).  But then ./configure doesn't work.
> >
> > I suspect that alsa is set up wrong (I just guessed I had Sound Blaster
> > 16, I don't actually know what sound card I have).
>
> lspci -v
>
> might help you

Once you figure out what sound card you have, have a look at the ALSA
sound card matrix: http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/
The "Driver & Docs" column contains links for each sound card, find
yours and click the link to get lots of info on how to setup ALSA for
your particular sound card. The important part is figuring out which
ALSA module your sound card uses. Skip the directions relating to
compiling ALSA, you already have that done. You'll want to do the
modprobe commands to get the kernel modules loaded. Looks like there are
some directions specific to debian in those docs as well. Cheers.
        Josh Green