Re: [fluid-dev] About multi ( >2 ) jack outputs

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] About multi ( >2 ) jack outputs
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 11:56:56 -0700

On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 04:48, Giannis Gravezas wrote:
> First of all hello and congratulations on your fine efforts.
> Fluidsynth is quickly becoming the best sampler on the linux audio
> landscape . The only thing that's been holding me from using it is the
> lack of multi-channel output ( I'm oriented on techno-trance and use it
> for percussion loops I need to be able to process each channel with
> different effects through jack and other apps ) . I tried specifying
> --audio-channels , --audio-groups and they didn't worked only two jack
> ports. Then browsing through the code I found in fluid_jack.c the
> "jack.audio.multi" and set it to yes and alas 36 ports !!! (16 stero
> channels) Only thing is when I try to play something  the synth exits no
> matter what combination I try. I browsed the code a little and seen that
> groups control the output but haven't browsed it extensively. Before I
> continue has anyone actually used multiple jack output? I wan't to know
> if I'm doing something wrong in my general setup before I try to
> understand how fluidsynth works .
> Thanx in advance,
>
> Giannis Gravezas,
> Software Developer,
> Neurosoft SA ,
> Athens,
> Greece

I myself don't really know the full capabilities of the audio routing,
but I have a feeling it is lacking in the area of having multiple
separate audio channels. Unless some of the original developers (Peter,
Markus?) post something, your best bet is probably to look at the code,
like you are doing. If I have some time I'll give it a look over as
well. It would be a sweet feature though to be able to have separate
audio channels with individual reverb/chorus, etc. Cheers.
        Josh Green