Re: [fluid-dev] trying to make fluidsynth on mac os x

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] trying to make fluidsynth on mac os x
Date: 24 May 2003 11:42:34 -0700

On Sat, 2003-05-24 at 01:46, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Josh Green hat gesagt: // Josh Green wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2003-05-23 at 14:03, Joe Corneli wrote:
> > > I am having trouble making fluidsynth.
> > >
> > > I get this message:
> > > fluid_cmd.c:34: header file 'readline/readline.h' not found
> > > fluid_cmd.c:35: header file 'readline/history.h' not found
> > >
> > P.S. Note to FluidSynth developers, a configure option should probably
> > be added for readline.
>
> There is one in fluidsynth 1.0.1:
>
>   --with-readline         Use the readline library for line editing
> default=yes
>
> Choose "--with-readline=no" to be happy.
>
> As I use fluidsynth embedded into a Pd external, I always build
> without readline.
>
> ciao

I did not realize that actually. It doesn't quite cover what I was
talking about though. I think there should be configure time detection
of readline and a switch to set the path where its installed. It doesn't
look like the readline development comes with anything helpful as far as
m4 detection macros though. Often times the readline development stuff
is not installed on user machines and it can be confusing to get a
compile time error, versus at configure time. ciao
        Josh Green