fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] How to use parallel execution via API

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] How to use parallel execution via API
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 15:42:07 -0700

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 3:31 PM, Mohamed Lrhazi <address@hidden> wrote:
> Is this possible? I went through the docs and it does not show any
> examples of such usage, only via command line or a decorator.

It could be more explicit, but it's in there if you read carefully :)

    http://docs.fabfile.org/en/1.4.3/usage/parallel.html#command-line-flags

    "One may also force all tasks to run in parallel by using the
command-line flag -P or the env variable env.parallel."

So you can tickle env.parallel directly or via 'with settings', and
then task executions via execute() will run in parallel. E.g.:

    with settings(parallel=True):
        execute(mytaskfunction, hosts=[...])

In addition, decorators are simply functions themselves and can be
used to temporarily wrap otherwise un-decorated functions, so you
could also:

    execute(parallel(mytaskfunction), hosts=[...])

Hope that helps,
Jeff