fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] specifying login and password?

From: Christian Vest Hansen
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] specifying login and password?
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 23:40:04 +0100

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 11:16 PM, Timothee Besset <address@hidden> wrote:

> Well, here are the main problems I see:
>
> It doesn't cover one password per host, which is the case I was mostly
> concerned with. It doesn't do password based sudo either.

It does allow distinct passwords per host, but does not allow them to
be specified beforehand in the fabfile. Well, unless you generate a
fabfile per host. :)

An authentication failure will cause it to prompt for a password for
that specific host - this is also the same password that is used for
sudo on that particular host. If this password happens to not be good
enough for sudo, then it will be prompted for again. And in this
particular case (where sudo pass != login pass -- I wonder how/if that
is even possible), things could start to get confusing with a terrible
amount of passwords being constantly prompted for.

I'm not totally what you mean by "It doesn't do password based sudo
either." but I hope that cleared things up a bit.

> Specifying the
> login in the host name is a nice standard thing, but doesn't really
> address any of that.
>
> The things implemented in fabric so far work pretty well for me,
> although it's lacking in documentation, and sometimes counterintuitive
> (see the 'put' problem). It would be interesting to work on allowing
> fabric to be better integrated, such as loading a module from python,
> and dynamically driving some of the core functionality.

Jeff got plans in this direction.