Re: Error of Particle node not found

From: Jean-Noël Grad
Subject: Re: Error of Particle node not found
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 14:38:37 +0100

Hi,

Offline discussion with Jonas: deleted particles are indeed kept in the particle list for future recycling; it helps reducing the complexity of the C++ code. You could use a try...except RuntimeError to skip non-existent particles, unfortunately this is far from ideal, as the number of particles is an implementation detail.

In other words, `len(system.part)` and `len(system.part[:].id)` both return N_existing, but to iterate with a try...except you would need the quantity N_existing + N_deleted. Jonas suggested using the h5md output format directly, which should allow you to run queries on the particle population with h5md-related tools.

The documentation on Reaction Ensemble methods is currently undergoing changes (https://github.com/espressomd/espresso/pull/3254). As soon as this work is done, we'll update it to reflect the fact that particles are not iterable when they undergo a chemical reaction.

Thank you for reporting this issue.

Best,
JN