[ESPResSo-users] Not able to run parallel jobs

From: Clemens Jochum
Subject: [ESPResSo-users] Not able to run parallel jobs
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 15:23:53 +0200

Dear all,

I have a problem with the current development version of
ESPResSo. After updating to the newest version on git[1], running the Lennard-Jones tutorial[2] with mpi and more than one process produces an error message.
When I run the LJ-tutorial on my desktop PC using "./pypresso" or "mpirun -np 1 ./pypresso" everything is fine, but when I use "mpirun -np 2 ./pypresso", for example, I get the following error message:

    mpirun noticed that process rank 1 with PID 22179 on node host01 exited on signal 11 (Segmentation fault).

Removing "system.analysis.mindist(...)" and "system.analysis.rdf(...)" from LJ-script fixes the problem.
I get the same error, when running my simulation-script on the cluster:

    =   BAD TERMINATION OF ONE OF YOUR APPLICATION PROCESSES
    =   PID 26307 RUNNING AT n07-048
    =   EXIT CODE: 11
    =   CLEANING UP REMAINING PROCESSES
    =   YOU CAN IGNORE THE BELOW CLEANUP MESSAGES

The part of my simulation script, which produces the error, does not contain any analysis. I haven't been able to find the exact cause there yet.
These scripts used to work with the development version until recently.

Does anyone have an idea, where this error might come from?

Many thanks,
Clemens

[1] https://github.com/espressomd/espresso
[2] https://github.com/espressomd/espresso/blob/python/doc/tutorials/python/01-lennard_jones/scripts/lj_tutorial.py