Re: [ESPResSo-users] Friction coefficient for virtual particle

From: Ivan Cimrak
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] Friction coefficient for virtual particle
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2017 13:44:58 +0200

Dear Nairhita,

The issue of correct setting of the friction parameter in lbfluid command is quite complex when simulating objects flowing in a fluid. My research group developed object-in-fluid framework in ESPResSo, that enables to model elastic objects (like cells with membranes) in ESPResSO. The object's surface is covered with triangular mesh of particles interconnected with bonds that define the elastic properties of the object's membrane.

In our case we need to properly calibrate the friction coefficient so that the drag exerted by fluid on individual mesh particles correspond to physical drag force of an object flowing in a fluid.

The friction coefficient depends on how dens mesh you are using.

Your case is modelling of solid objects, however when you use virtual particles, these also form a mesh (a solid mesh) through which the fluid exerts force on the solid object. I believe, that the friction coefficient will be the same as soon as the density of your virtual particles is similar to the density of our triangular mesh.

In next e-mail  I will send you a pre-print paper dealing with this issue.

With my best regards,

Ivan