Re: [ESPResSo-users] No conservation of momentum/mass in LBM ??

From: Ulf Schiller
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] No conservation of momentum/mass in LBM ??
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 11:08:21 -0400

On 03/17/2016 10:51 AM, Wink, Markus wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
>> Your plot suggests that the inlet velocity is different from the outlet
>> velocity. In that case it makes sense that the boundary effects have a
>> different extent.
>
> Sorry for the misleading picture. The first and last data point should of
> cause be the velocity of the rhomboid. I set both rhomboids with the same
> velocity (see tcl-script attached). So the boundary effects should have same
> extent, which they clearly don't have. Could this also be related to a
> slightly compressed fluid?
>
>> In LB, as you say, the pressure is proportional to the density, so you could
>> set the density at the outlet. This is in fact what the Zhou/He boundary
>> condition effectively does.
>
> Is it really that simple? I mean, for the outlet we have 5 unknown
> distribution functions (the ones having a velocity vector pointing inwards to
> the channel). If I set a certain density at the outlet, I only have one
> equation for those 5 unknown distributions. I could also imply a normal
> output boundary condition for the flow, so setting u_y and u_z to zero. This
> gives me another two relations. As far as I know, Zou/He assume furthermore,
> that for the non-equilibrium part of the distribution function there is a
> bounce-back rule, giving the last two relations needed to solve the system of
> equations.
> I am just wondering, if it is promising to just set the density at the outlet
> to a certain value (maybe in combination with normal output condition for the
> velocity) to get rid of the output effects. Any idea/feeling about it?

Of course Zhou/He would be cleaner, but you'd need to implement that
(which is not difficult). Just setting the density will not satisfy the
normal and non-equilibrium conditions (which will affect the stress
tensor, but you have an artificial profile anyhow). I'm not sure what
will happen, but may be worth a quick'n'dirty try...

Cheers,
Ulf

--
Dr. Ulf D. Schiller