Re: [ESPResSo-users] Multi-realaxation time model

From: Ulf Schiller
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] Multi-realaxation time model
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 13:16:50 -0500

Hi Markus,

On 03/08/2016 01:02 PM, Wink, Markus wrote:
> Dear Espresso-users,
>
> I've just read part of the source code (mainly lb.cpp) and some questions
> arose (concerning the MRT algorithm) which probably one of you could answer.
>
> 1) In  lb_reinit_parameters() "gamma_shear" and "gamma_bulk" are chosen as
> proposed by Duenweg, Schiller, Ladd, PRE 76(3):036704 (2007).
>
> - What values are chosen for gamma_odd and gamma_even (for the relaxation
> rates of the ghost modes). It is written that it is set to
> "lbpar.gamma_odd[0]" (line 1925). But what is the actual value (I cannot find
> it in the source code)

In bulk systems the relaxation values for the ghost modes can be set to
zero. This will typically give the best numerical stability. However, if
you have boundaries in the system, the ghost mode relaxation has to be
adjusted for second order accuracy. This is most easily achieved by
using a two relaxation time model (TRT). I think this is partially
implemented in ESPResSo, but I am not sure what the latest status is.

> 2) In lb_relax_modes() I was wondering about the following:
>
> - The density is set to "rho = mode[0] +
> lbpar.rho[0]*lbpar.agrid*lbpar.agrid*lbpar.agrid" (line 2346). Where does the
> second summand come from? I thought, that the density is just m[0] in MRT.

The populations are internally stored without the leading order term,
which reduces numerical round-off errors. That's why the average density
has to be added again to the zeroth mode. All other modes are orthogonal
to the density.

> - It is possible from line 2373-2391 to find out the used relaxation matrix.
> Is there any source where it is taken from (like the paper of Prof. Duenweg
> and Ulf for the shear and bulk viscosity)?
> - mode[0] until mode[3] are not relaxed due mass and momentum conservation,
> mode[4] is relaxed with the shear stress relaxation rate, mode[5]-mode[9]
> with the bulk stress relaxation rate. Is that correct?

Yes, that's right. In the TRT model all stresses would be relaxed at the
same rate.

> - Probably already answered by the question under 1, but in any case: What
> are the relaxation rates for the ghost modes (mode[10]-mode[18])? If it is
> zero: of course it would be the simplest choice. But doesn't one have to be
> careful with boundaries then? How is this taken into account?

I don't know if the interface to set the ghost relaxation values is
already released, but it is under development. In any case it should not
be too complicated to manually modify the desired values in the code.

Hope this helps. Best wishes,
Ulf

--
Dr. Ulf D. Schiller