Re: [ESPResSo-users] pressure boundary condition

From: Ulf Schiller
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] pressure boundary condition
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 17:40:58 +0100

On 16/06/15 17:14, Wink, Markus wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I have just checked older posts on the mailing-list and found the post of
> Markus and Ulf from the beginning of this year.
> I think it would be interesting to have different boundary conditions like
> pressure/velocity for in- and outlet. Especially having a more complex
> geometry, it is likely that the periodic boundary condition is not sufficient
> to describe the system (Never checked, but can one switch off the PBC in the
> LB scheme?)
>
> Reading once more the User guide, I realized that one can set the 19
> populations of the D3Q19 LB-scheme manually. An idea could be to implement
> the pressure-boundary conditions proposed by Zou and He (for instance) on the
> TCL Level. Nevertheless, I have some concerns about it, and would like to ask
> you about your opinion on that:
>
> 1) Is it in principal possible to implement the pressure-boundary condition
> of Zou/He (http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.869307) on the TCL level? As far as I
> know, the inlet and outlet conditions are set before the collision step (in a
> collision-streaming algorithm). So would it work to set the distribution
> functions of the boundary nodes (inlet/outlet) before the integrate step? Of
> course one must turn off the PBC then. If not, I guess one has to implement
> it on the C-Level.

It depends a bit on how one writes things down, but in principle any
boundary condition should specify the unkown populations prior to the
streaming step. While it may be possible to implement pressure
boundaries at the script level, it should be rather straightforward to
do it in C - see e.g.
https://gist.github.com/uschille/8f65dd40572b2d943409 for inlet/outlets
in x-direction.

> 2) Assuming this boundary condition is in principal working, I am not sure,
> if it really helps to simulate "real" systems (with real I mean for instance
> systems in microfluidics). As far as I know, the pressure boundary condition
> is only valid for a pressure gradient over the channel which is very small.
> This is probably not the case in most "realistic" setups. Any comments on
> that?
>
> 3) Another idea that came up to my mind is to give a certain velocity profile
> to the inlet nodes and letting the flow profile develop and repeatedly feed
> the inlet with new particles (in every integration step). At the outlet, one
> has to delete the particles leaving the simulation box. I guess this approach
> is very poor when it comes to computation time. Nevertheless, would that
> approach work in principal?

If I remember correctly, these things are addressed in Rupert's paper:
http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevE.89.023303 We have implemented a range
of boundary conditions in LB3D and HemeLB both of which are open source...

Hope this helps,
Ulf