Re: [ESPResSo-users] flow profile square duct - deviation

From: Ulf Schiller
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] flow profile square duct - deviation
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 19:38:42 +0000

Hi Markus,

some deviation from the analytical prediction is of course expected. The
LBM produces a second order approximation of the Navier-Stokes equation,
however, the bounce back boundary conditions implemented in ESPResSo are
only first order accurate. That is, the first thing to double-check is
if you have taken the effective location of the wall correctly into
account - it depends on both the lattice spacing and the relaxation
parameters. What you may meed to do is to tune the eigenvalues of the
ghost modes - not sure whether this is possible from the script level.

What I find intriguing is that you see a spatial variation of the error.
I would have expected that all numerical effects can be accounted for by
an artificial(!) slip velocity, however, it looks like your profile does
not follow a quadratic form. What you can check is how the error
converges, i.e., plot the error vs. the grid spacing. It should decay
linearly or better.

Best wishes,
Ulf

--