[ESPResSo-users] Gist LB code

From: Ulf Schiller
Subject: [ESPResSo-users] Gist LB code
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 16:25:17 +0000

Hi all,

in view of the recent sprint of questions on the ESPResSo user mailing
list regarding the lattice Boltzmann method, I thought I'd provide a
little example code to play around with. A simple (~1000 lines) yet
pretty efficient (I've seen 10 MUPS on a desktop CPU) C-implementation
of a single-phase (fluctuating) D3Q19 model is available at

https://gist.github.com/uschille/8f65dd40572b2d943409

The code simply runs a Poiseuille flow in a slit channel. I've started
using this example in tutorials and classes - the code allows to play
around with different splittings of the PDE (change lb_read() and
lb_write()), and the Poiseuille example is suited to explore the effect
of different choices of the LB relaxation parameters. For example, one
can find the viscosity dependence of the wall location if the ghost
eigenvalues are not tuned to the proper values. One can also demonstrate
second order spatial convergence and so on and so forth.

Feel free to use the code in your own teaching - I'd appreciate a brief
note (and of course a proper citation) in case you intend to include it
in any course materials.

Have a lot of fun!
Ulf

--