Re: [ESPResSo-users] LANGEVIN_PER_PARTICLE

From: Lorenzo Isella
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] LANGEVIN_PER_PARTICLE
Date: Wed, 07 May 2014 10:28:45 +0200

Hello,
I implemented by hand a similar feature (by some modification of the expresso code) some years ago for a paper. I modelled the dynamics of combustion-generated nanoparticles (larger than the air molecules), consisting of several spherules bound together by a short-ranged potential. The Langevin noise was used to model the gas-to-spherule collisions, which is also the mechanism giving rise to the friction. Now, the inner spherules, deep inside the aggregate, are more difficult to reach from the air molecules (hence they are shielded) than those on the surface and as a consequence they experience a different friction.
Have a look at

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2011.01.072

Cheers

Lorenzo