Re: [ESPResSo-users] Discrepancy in velocity fluid flow between two plat

From: Stefan Kesselheim
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] Discrepancy in velocity fluid flow between two plates
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 16:32:52 +0100

Hi Markus, hi Espressis,
I'm not aware of of the OIF tutorial, but you can not expect the results to be equivalent. Simple reason: With the rhomboid you define the velocity everywhere on the inlet. Across the channel cross section, the velocity is constant. In the Poisseuille case, the flux is not constant but parabolic. If you had a long channel, far away from the inlet BC, you would obtain Poisseuille-type behaviour, but towards the in- and outlet the flow field gets closer and closer to the applied BC. You can known the maximum velocity far away from the center by assuming an unknown pressure gradient in the center and setting the total flux through the center identical to the flux over the boundary. This equation you can solve for v_max.
Attached, you'll find the flow field obtained by your simulation. It clearly becomes more Poisseuille-ish at the center.
Cheers
Stefan