Re: [ESPResSo-users] Rigid Objects using OIF

From: Ivan Cimrak
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] Rigid Objects using OIF
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 08:31:23 +0100

Dear Markus,

In the oif-framework you can use objects that are "very stiff", but not completely rigid. This approach works very well.

There is however a trick to do this. If you just pick triangular mesh that is on the surface of the body (as is presented in the tutotial), you need to set quite high elastic parameters. The system then however becomes unstable and very fine time-steps are needed.

There is onother approach: You can use triangulation of a ball, instead of a sphere. That means that the whole inside of the ball is triangulated with tetrahedra. In this case, you may use stretching, bending and local area preservation forces, but you can not use volume force and global area force. When adding a new object, just do not set kag and kv.

Since you have now full 3D triangulation also inside the ball, the system is stable.

I attach 2 different triangulations of the ball, you can use them in the same manner as nodes files and triangles files in the tutorial.

Good luck,
Ivan