Re: [ESPResSo-users] Sistematically decreasing of Temperature with DPD t

From: Stefan Kesselheim
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] Sistematically decreasing of Temperature with DPD thermostat
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 09:07:39 +0100

Dear Salvador,

I'd not be sure Georgs or Ulfs points are valid, but let me give it a try.
a) It could be a bug. The line should read
thermostat off
and not thermostat set off
b) Thermalization of rotational degrees of freedom is entirely different in
Langevin than what happens when combining rigid bodies with DPD (this so far
probably nobody has done). In LD there is a friction proportional to the
angular velocity and the the COM motion. When using DPD the "usual" DPD stuff
happens to the particles, that is every particle experiences a friction with
every other particle. Per se this includes also the other particles in the same
dumbbell and this might eat up energy (In the non-transversal DPD this should
however be exactly zero. This you probably have switched off).
When other people used rigid bodies with LB I was expecting trouble, because
then friction should be correlated among all the particles (they are connected
rigidly) and the noise however is uncorrelated. This however obviously worked
correctly. For dimers (or trimers) this should however not reduce the
temperature by almost a factor 100.

Before going into details with that I'd check the following things:
First: is possible, that you gamma is 0? Try using 1, please.

Second: Can you cut off the WF/TWF tail of your command? It could be a bug in
some parser.

Third: I'd try is replacing the rigid bonds by simple harmonic bonds between
all three particles of the dumbbell. This is something that should definitely
yield the right temperature. If this still produces the wrong temperature there
is another bug in you script. If this produces the correct temperature then we
should think again.

Four: I'm not sure what the exclusions do to DPD. You should switch them off if
possible.

Five: You could switch off all "conservative", i.e. LJ and bonded interactions.
If this does not produce the right temperature there is more bugs.

I hope one of these things works.
Cheers
Stefan