Re: [ESPResSo-users] Bjerrum Length for Explicit Solvent

From: Stefan Kesselheim
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] Bjerrum Length for Explicit Solvent
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2013 11:43:22 +0200

Hi,

On Oct 6, 2013, at 11:22 AM, Peter Košovan <address@hidden> wrote:

> To this end, I do not see inconsistency between what Stefan and Marcus have
> written.

To make it clear:
In my opinion the Bjerrum length can not be measured, and is not a physical
quantity. It is a theoretical concept that is used to combine measurements of
the bulk (!) dielectric permittivity and the temperature of a medium into a
single quantity that is helpful to keep formulas brief.

Markus' opinion is that the Bjerrum length can be measured: You use to charged
particles of known charge, hold them in appropriate tweezers (that can be
tricky though) measure the force as a function of distance, integrate that
force and where this integrated curve cuts the $k_B T$ line you read of the
Bjerrum length.

Both definitions are possible, but not compatible. The first is a (bulk)
material property at a particular temperature, the second is a property of ion
pairs in a particular medium at a particular temperature.

Interestingly in the second definition the salt concentration will play a role
was well.

Cheers
Stefan