Re: [ESPResSo-users] Bjerrum Length for Explicit Solvent

From: Markus Deserno
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] Bjerrum Length for Explicit Solvent
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2013 12:20:50 -0400

Jezreel,

the Bjerrum length is the distance at which two unit charges experience
an electrostatic interaction energy equal to the thermal energy. For water,
this is about 7 Angstrom, independent of whether the solvent is treated
explicitly or implicitly. It would be rather unphysical if this physical quantity
depended on the way you implement a solvent in your computer program.
It is rather the other way around: Whatever you do to your computer model,
you must make sure that physical parameters are reproduced, and the
Bjerrum length is one such.

Best,

Markus Deserno

--
Dr. Markus Deserno ++1-412-268-4401 (office)
Associate Professor of Physics ++1-412-681-0648 (fax)