Re: [ESPResSo-users] why does Espresso calculate interactions between ne

From: Owen Hickey
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] why does Espresso calculate interactions between neutral particles in debye huckel?
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 15:47:49 +0200

Hey,

I think his point is that there is a surprising large slowdown of the simulations when he turns on the Debye-Hueckel interaction even though he has relatively few charged particles.  It is true the underlying code calculates the DH interaction between all particles within the cutoff.  You could try adding an if (p1->q*p2->q!=0) before the call is made but you might still find it much slower.  This is because that even for the short ranged interactions between neutral particles the cutoff for the DH interaction would be used as their is only one neighbor list in Espresso.

I would recommend first trying to use P3M as there is a good chance it provides acceptable performance.  Adding an if to the c code might also help though I suspect that it might still be slower than switching to P3M.

Owen