Re: [ESPResSo-users] Tabulated angle potential in Espresso

From: Axel Arnold
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] Tabulated angle potential in Espresso
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 16:49:20 +0100

On Tuesday 03 January 2012, Javier Ramos wrote:
> I understood from the Espresso manual that the force is, as you say,
> U'(r)/r being the r the distance between two beads in the case of
> tabulated non-bonded potentials. However, in the case of tabulated angle
> potentials I am not be able to understand the meaning of r. Which is the
> r that I have to use?. Is the connecting distance between 1-2 beads? or
> 1-3 beads??? (for the angle between (1)-(2)-(3) beads)

What you need to give is the magnitude of the force F(r,phi)/r on one of the
outer beads, where r is the distance to the center bead. If you think about
it, the force needs to scale with this distance, as the potential U(phi) only
depends on the enclosed angle. Also, the force on the 1st and 3rd particle are
not equal in magnitude, as their distance to the center particle is different,
and therefore their torsion arms.

Axel

--
JP Dr. Axel Arnold      Tel: +49 711 685 67609
ICP, Universität Stuttgart      Email: address@hidden