Re: [ESPResSo-users] Units of Temp and time step

From: Axel Arnold
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] Units of Temp and time step
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 12:16:26 +0200

On Friday 01 April 2011 11:15:24 Muhammad Anwar wrote:
> Hello,
> Dear User,
> I am using Kcal/mol for energy and Angstrom for distance, I want to set
> temperature of 300 K in Langevin thermostat and time step of 1 fs.  Will
> i write simply:
>
> setmd time_step 1
> thermostat langevin 1.0 1.0

Hi,

there are 3 essential scales in a simulation, length, energy and mass, from
which the rest of units can be derived. Masses in Espresso are by default 1,
you need to compile in the feature MASS if you want to change that. If you
keep it at 1, then your mass unit is the mass of any particle, and your time
scale you get from

energy = mass*velocity^2 = mass*length^2/time^2

=> time = sqrt(mass/energy)*length.

As for the temperature, Espresso uses k_B=1. So, the scale for temperature is
Kcal/mol/k_B.

Axel

--
JP Dr. Axel Arnold