[ESPResSo] Metadynamics in ESPResSo

From: Tristan Bereau
Subject: [ESPResSo] Metadynamics in ESPResSo
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 15:55:39 -0400

Dear all,

I've implemented Metadynamics into Espresso. Metadynamics is a sampling scheme
that allows to caculate the potential of mean force of a system as a function
of a reaction coordinate from a canonical simulation. The algorithm relies on
the history-dependent force that is applied to the system, in order to avoid
values of the reaction coordinate that have been previously sampled.
Ultimately, the biased system is able to self-diffuse along the reaction
coordinate, providing an estimate of the potential of mean force (PMF).

Two reaction coordinates have been implemented:
 - the distance between two particles (e.g. PMF of the end-to-end distance of a
polymer)
 - the relative height of a particle with respect to another one (e.g. distance
of a particle from an interface)
the code can be easily extended to other reaction coordinates.

The scheme is fast due to the implementation in C (rather than through the Tcl
interface), and other tricks such as a discretization of the reaction
coordinate into bins and the use of so-called Lucy's functions rather than
gaussians (avoids calculating exponentials).

Right now, the metadynamics sampling scheme does *not* support MPI. It would be
a useful extension but will require me to learn more about particle
communication between nodes.. Still, the input/output features allow to
trivially parallelize the sampling scheme by starting independent "walkers"
that exchange information on a regular basis.

Also, the code works seamlessly with VIRTUAL_SITES, such that one can work with
groups of particles in order to define molecules or interfaces.

The code, as well as the user guide documentation, was updated to the CVS.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Best,
Tristan