[ESPResSo] Espresso performance with gcc 4.3

From: Mehmet Sayar
Subject: [ESPResSo] Espresso performance with gcc 4.3
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 13:57:18 +0300

Hi everybody,

I am having some trouble with performance of Espresso which is compiled with gcc 4.3. At least that is my best guess regarding the origin of the problem.

I have a couple of 8-core machines with Suse 10.2 installed. I recently updated one of them to Suse 11.1. The machines have exactly the same architecture.
Under Suse 11.1 Espresso's performance is more than 10 times slower.

Gromacs displays the same problem.

When I look at the common libraries between Espresso and Gromacs, I suspect either the gcc or the lamd installations as the source of the problem.

However I tested the performance of Espresso with mpi-fake. And the performance is still terrible under Suse 11.1. That leaves gcc as the only candidate.

Did anyone else had a similar experience? Any ideas?

Greetings from Istanbul,

Mehmet

--
Mehmet Sayar - Assist. Prof.  Koc University
Email:address@hidden        Dept. Mechanical Eng.